Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: What is it about a Taylor Made duck call?

Administrator of Heathens GPS Dependent DanT's Avatar

What is it about a Taylor Made duck call?

As many of you know, one of my favorite calls to collect is Taylor Made by Alvin Taylor. I get asked a lot why they're so expensive, why people like them, and do people still hunt with them. I have spent a lot of time with some of the best hunters and callers over the years who have or have used them and the answers are very consistent.
    His calls are very ducky and have an incredible low end which a lot of hunters prefer. They don't have the high end that a lot of the newer calls possess but Mr. Alvin made it clear that he made calls to hunt with and not blow in contests. This probably led to the published conclusion that Taylor Mades are the call of choice for many "hard-ankled" Arkansas hunters. Many feel that they are also very easy to operate and rarely lock-up. They are also known for the fact that the reed and cork are easily replaced and even the most inexperienced tuner can get the original sound back with a couple of tries.
    Mr. Alvin was not a well known hunter and many who had the chance to meet him know he was never that great of a caller. He, like many great instrument makers, wasn't that good at playing what he built, but had an excellent ear for that perfect sound. A sound that still echos throughout the timber and fields of Arkansas and the Delta.
    As for the price, well he left us too soon, and there won't be anymore. If you have one, hold on to it. It is a great legacy for you or your children. If you hunt with one, keep using it, you won't wear it out and you might kill a lot of ducks.
    DanT

alvin taylor was not a great duck caller yet he made excellent calls. beethoven wrote his greatest symphonies when he was nearly, or totally deaf.
    i don't have a taylor made duck call--but i have some of his golf clubs, and i really like those...ok-now i'm just messin with ya!!

I'm going to Tunica this weekend for a bachelor party, if I win big maybe i'll buy one

A couple more pics.............photo[2] (2).jpgphoto[2] (3).jpgphoto[2].jpg

Very Nice. I'd love to have one like those but the real estate market isn't exactly stellar right now.

Just noticed the avatar, awesome.

Topwater GPS Dependent yellowlab04's Avatar
    Holly *&%#*&%#*&%#*&%# man u have some calls !!one for each day of the week for the whole season !!!

Now I know why I don't have one and can't seem to find one. DanT already owns them all!!

Super impressive collection Dan; I'm jealous. Because I could probably afford to step out and pick one up, and because I haven't really followed any E-Bay auctions lately, what's a rational price range for Taylor-made's right now?

How do the Grover Knoll calls compare to them sound-wise?

The market price now is around $600-$700 for mint condition. Some of the unusual ones have gone for over $1000. I've found in collectin', there isn't a rational price range these days for a callmaker who is no longer with us. If more than one person wants a particular call, rationale tends to fall to the wayside. I can't count the number of times I've paid more than I should have for a call.

Not much experience with Grover Knolls calls, they are pretty sharp lookin' though.